Ordering Firearms & Ammunition from Hayes & Associates Ltd
The New Zealand Firearm Licensing System
Sporting firearms – “A” CATEGORY
Everyone wanting a firearms licence must:
- Must be 16-years of age
- Complete a firearms safety study course
- Pass a firearms safety test
- Be considered by the NZ Police to be a ‘fit& proper person’ to have a firearm
- Have police approved security for their firearms
A TYPICAL “A” CATEGORY FIREARM
This licence (commonly referred to as an “A” Licence) covers ownership and use of sporting firearms – sporting rifles and shotguns.
Mail Ordering of “A” Category Firearms & Ammunition
- Visit your local Arms Office
- Complete a Mail Order Form, making sure you provide the most suitably secure delivery address
Your Arms Officer will email the completed form to Hayes & Associates Ltd – firstname.lastname@example.org
Purchase of Pistols for Target Pistol Shooting – “B” Category
- Must have an “A” firearms licence
- Must be a member of a recognised target pistol shooting club, have completed a six month probationary period and have demonstrated a high standard of ability in the use of target pistols
- Have a “B” Category licence Endorsement
- To obtain the “B” Endorsement the applicant must have, prior to making an application, a suitable police approved safe for storing the pistols
To be able to purchase target pistols you must obtain a completed LE2/1 form from your Club Armourer, take this to your Arms Officer – with the name, address and full details of the Company or individual who you are purchasing the pistol from. Your Arms Officer will issue you with a Permit to Procure, which will have all the details on it.
You then deliver the Permit to Procure to the supplier – ensuring that you provide a secure delivery address for the pistol.
The supplier will give you both copies of the permit.
Once received the pistol you take the pistol and the permit to your Arms Officer, who will verify the model and serial number – and give you a copy of the Permit for your records.
A ‘B’ CATEGORY WESTERN ACTION REVOLVER
Purchase of Pistols & other Restricted Firearms for a Collection – “C” Category
A special Police form is available for “C” Category applications. This form provides detailed information about how to apply, as well as details of the security level needed and you must list your historic areas of firearms collecting, together with your existing involvement.
Hayes & Associates Ltd can supply a “C” Category Application Form.
ORIGINAL FLINTLOCK PISTOL – 1810 VINTANGE
Purchase of Restricted Military Style Firearms (MSSA) - “E” Category
This category is usually restricted to shooting sports club members of a club where the club specialises in International events (IPSC).
A high level of security is needed for “E” Category firearms – which are semi-automatic rifles or shotguns with “E” Category features, such as a free standing pistol grip and a high capacity magazine.
MILITARY STYLE SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLES
FREE STANDING PISTOL GRIPS AND HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES